Math Pentathlon Club Registration
Math Pentathlon Club at MHG
Registration is OPEN!
Math Pentathlon problem-solving games provide a highly motivational format for developing and practicing important math concepts. While playing games in cooperative division age groups, students strengthen their strategic thinking and critical reasoning abilities. For more information on the program, please visit www.mathpentath.org
We need YOU! The Math Pentathlon Club at MHG is successful because of our wonderful parent volunteers! Classes will be formed based on the number of parent volunteer coaches (or team coaches if you prefer to share coaching duties with another parent). If you are interested in becoming a coach or team coach for any grade, please contact MHG Math Pentathlon Club Coordinator.
Characteristics of the Program
• Math Pentathlon uses the format of games to develop “active” problem solving: the ability to resolve problems which are continually undergoing change.
• Strategic games require students to consider multiple options and formulate strategies based on expected countermoves from the other player.
• Integrates computational, geometric/spatial, and logical scientific reasoning.
• Motivates students to spend more time on task developing both basic skills and higher-level thinking since games are enjoyable.
• Makes math fun for parents and motivates them to spend time learning strategies with their children.
• Optional end of season tournament competition emphasizes cooperation and good sportsmanship.
How is the Math Pentathlon Club implemented at MHG?
The Math Pentathlon Club at MHG is led by a team of parent volunteers. The club will meet before school every Friday morning at 8 am beginning in November. All math club students will be eligible to participate in an optional Michigan area tournament held in the spring.
Classes are broken down by the following grades: Div I: K-1, DIV II: 2-3, and DIV III: 4-5. In each division, there are 5 games which the children will learn and practice prior to the Math Pentathlon tournament. Parents are expected to commit to helping teach games to the children on club practice mornings as well as volunteer during the tournament at the end of the season if your child chooses to participate. Tournament participation is not mandatory.
How does my child join the Math Pentathlon Club at MHG?
Registration will begin in October, or once we have identified a coach for each grade level. A flyer will be sent home with information on how to register your child. Classes will be limited to 12-16 students per class. Students will be accepted based on first come first serve, as well as parent participation.
What costs are involved?
- Registration = $20/student (covers the cost of teaching materials, t-shirts & end of season celebration)
- Tournament Participation (optional) = $42/student*
- *For families with hardship, PTA scholarships can be requested
- Check-out games to play at home = FREE
- Purchasing your own games through the Math Pentathlon website is optional.
Pentathlon Institute Evening Orientation Session (optional)
Penthalon Institute will offer a free orientation session for adults on at Bloomfield Hills School Way Elementary on October 15th OR Walled Lake Central High School on October 17, 2019, from 6:30-9: 30 pm. During this session, parents will break out into grade level groups where they are introduced to each of the 5 games. If you are interested in learning more about the program please register for this free event. Orientation is highly recommended for new coaches!
National Math Pentathlon Tournaments (optional)
Students who have become proficient at the games may wish to test their problem-solving abilities with students from other schools at a National Math Pentathlon Tournament. Each participant is matched with a different player at the same grade level from different schools for each of the 5 games. Each two-person game is officiated by one adult volunteer game monitor.
- Division 1 (Grades K-1): April 25th, 2020 @ Walled Lake North High School
- Division II (Grades 2-3): March 21st, 2020 @ Bloomfield Hills High School
- Division III (Grades 4-5): May 16h, 2020 @ Stoney Creek High School in Rochester Hills
Math Pentathlon Club Timeline
September-October: Identify coaches for each division. Involve coaches in sessions to help them learn the program.
November-January: Teach games/activities to students in math club before school every Friday morning.
February-March: Prepare students for the tournament. Train adult volunteers to monitor games at the tournament.
March-May: Students and parents participate in an optional Mathematics Pentathlon Tournament.
Parents - You can make a difference in your child's life by creating a positive attitude and high self-esteem in math! If you are interested in seeing this program at MHG and would like to coach any grade level please contact MHG Math Pentathlon Coordinator:
248-231-2164 (call or text)